Wednesday, February 13, 2008

And The Winner of the "Worst Mom of the Day Award" goes to.....

My Dear Caden...

That would be me..... Oh my gosh what an awful day. I can't even begin to express the pain I went through today....right along with yours, and probably so much more. Because of me you got a second degree burn on your precious, precious, perfect little hand. I keep replaying that moment over and over in my mind. You woke up super early this morning for some reason. Six AM..... (What was up with that by the way?) Every time you go to bed late, you wake up earlier than normal. Doesn't make sense at all....I'm sticking with putting you to bed at 7.

ANYWAY....we went downstairs, I turned on the fireplace since it was FREEZING outside, and we proceeded to just play. I was building a little lego tower when I noticed that you were making a beeline for the fireplace. I jumped up and caught you JUST as your little hand touched the glass. I'll never, ever forget the look on your face and the howling that took place for 30 + minutes straight after that. I was TERRIFIED, and crying right along with you. I'm not sure who was crying harder. I ran to the kitchen, put your hand under the cold water and told you over and over how sorry I was. I felt like my heart was being ripped from my chest. This was definitely my hardest moment so far since you were born. I hated that you were hurting and I swear I would have traded about anything at that moment to make it stop. I couldn't call the pediatrician until they opened at 8am and by that time some pretty good size blisters were forming. It was KILLING me. I felt so awful. How could I be so stupid? Why did I turn that thing on? I should have known that he was so fast and this could happen!? Why did I not get to him fast enough? I'm supposed to protect you and I didn't. I'm so, so, sorry my little love.

We went to the doctor and they put some salve on your hand and wrapped the whole thing in a guaze bandage. You have to keep this on for about 5 days, and there will be some sensitivity for awhile, but you are going to be ok. By the time you got to the doctor you were just fine. You didn't seem to remember anymore about your hand...You were just back to your normal self trying to grab everything in sight. I, on the other hand, was still a basket case. I just couldn't seem to let it go....it was just still so painful.

So there you were the rest of the day, truckin' around with a little bandaged hand.... It just makes me so sad to see but you are still as energetic as always and seem to be just FINE. Again, you are such a trooper. Forgive me for not being able to stop what happened. I love you so much and I promise you.....it hurt me more than it hurt you. Get better honey....I want to see that perfect little hand again soon.

Love, Mommy



No comments: