Friday, July 11, 2008

Oh My Aching Back...

So today (Friday) was the day that I had to get another Spinal Tap done. Woo hoo! After I got my MRI a couple weeks ago, the Neurologist couldn't see much of a change from the one I had three months ago, which was GREAT, but he still didn't want to take any chances as my Aunt just was recently diagnosed with MS as well. Since both my dad AND Aunt have it, he was concerned that this disease was definitely familial, so he scheduled me for another Spinal Tap to rule it out. So today was the day.

I had this done 5 years ago and it was the worst, painful experience of my life. I was in an emergency room and the emergency doctor was attending to me. Well, according to the nurses and other people, he didn't do it correctly cause I could feel EVERYTHING. After he was done I couldn't stop sobbing for hours. So....knowing I needed to do that again terrified me. I've been used to being poked and prodded this past year, but I would rather have give birth ten times over than go through that again.

My amazing friend Erica picked me up this morning on her day off, and took me to the hospital to be by my side. That was sooo nice of her. She wasn't allowed to be in the room with me when they were doing the procedure, but she was there during my recovery. She was wonderful... So I told the doctor my experience and how scared I was, and he assured me that it would be nothing like it was before. He was right.....it was so much better. Don't get me wrong, it still hurt like the dickens when they numbed me up....basically it was an epidural, but after that I couldn't feel any of the four abstractions. Thank GOD. I was so glad when it was over.... I had to lay flat in the recovery room for two hours before they let me go, and have had to be flat the rest of the day. Gosh I hate just LAYING still all day! I'm about to lose my mind!!!

So, I'm sore, but feeling ok, and happy that it went much smoother than I anticipated. I'm not sure when I will know the results of the Tap, but I will keep everyone updated! Thank you for all your prayers!!!! I am one lucky girl to have such supported friends and family. I love you all........

No comments: