Tuesday, June 17, 2008

14 Months


Hey sweetness,

You are now officially fourteen months old!! Gosh....I just can't believe it. You are growing into a cute, smart & funny little guy. So much has been going on with you lately and it's been so exciting!

You love books right now and I couldn't be more thrilled. I hope you share my love of reading. There is nothing else like escaping into another exciting world through a book. I read alot to you, and you LOVE to be the one to turn the pages!!

You have definitely turned the corner with your communication abilities. It's sooo exciting. I've tried teaching you some sign language the last few months and repeat the motions as I say the words. This last week, as I have said the words, you have done the motions!!! Yesterday, I was in the kitchen washing dishes and you were playing in the tupperware cabinet as you dearly love to do. (Lately you take a piece of tupperware, walk out of the kitchen to the bottom of the stairs and throw it over the gate leading upstairs, and then repeat again and again. It is the funniest, thing ever.) Well, after a bit, you came up behind me and started yanking on my shorts to get my attention. I turned around and you started signing to me that you were hungry!!! I couldn't believe it! You then proceeded to walk to your highchair and pull it out for me to let you in. What an exciting moment! You told me you were hungry without actually speaking the words!!! So, so fun. You definitely lead us where you want to go now. You always want to come take our hands and pull us somewhere. It's so precious I could just die.... :)

You continue to be a great sleeper. I'm so glad I remained consistent with you when you were young when it came to your sleep schedule. It wasn't easy, but it has paid off in bucketfuls. Your napping schedule has been off quite a bit lately. Some days are one nap days, others are two. There's no rhyme or reason for it either. I'm still appreciating those two nap days though!

You are still quite the impatient, loud eater. The big thing with food is that I don't get it to you fast enough. Everyday (usually at dinner), I have you in your high chair while I make your food. You gets impatient & scream your "hurry up" scream. When you want food, you want it NOW!!! (I'm working on changing that)

Our morning routine still starts off with our Nursery Rhyme TV time. You sit in your little chair with your "woobie" and your glass of milk as you wake up. You can't get enough of those little kids singing and dancing on TV. Forget animation.....if I put on a cartoon or movie that is animated your attention span lasts about 10 seconds. Put on other kids, and you will be mesmerized for 30 minutes. You just LOVE other kids! It's like you are studying them so closely. Cute.... After we've watched them for a bit we head downstairs for breakfast. You know what to expect every morning....

You still don't have any real words yet but you continue to "point & grunt" and speak all your jibberish words. There was a time when you would say "car" and "ball" continuously, but for some reason, you don't want to anymore. Oh well....I feel like the words will all come in a flood one of these days.

You're still walking everywhere and all over. You just can't get enough of exploring. You try to open the front door to go outside (you're still too small to open it though thank goodness). You can open doors that have the pull down handles though!! I found that out at the office the other day when I closed us in a room to learn something from a friend on the computer, turn my back for 5 seconds and then hear someone down the hall say "Oh well hello! Who are YOU little guy?" Man you are growing up. You do really well with holding our hands and walking around in stores and stepping up and down the steps on the front porch. It's so cute to watch and I love seeing you so grown-up.

You're really into playing with the dogs right now. You want to let them inside ALL the time so that you can play ball with them. When I put that back outside you stand by the door and just cry and cry. It's so sad! You'll be ok for awhile and then come find me, grab my hand and lead me back to the back door so that I can let them back in. Ah...so sweet. I am so amazed at how gentle they are with you. You will go grab a ball right out of their mouth, or they will in turn come bite a ball out of your hand. I cringe slightly when I watch this exchange just waiting for you to start howling cause a tooth clipped your hand or something, but still nothing! (Thank God!) I'm so glad you love them so much.....

You are definitely in a little "frightened of everything phase." It's so sad, and so sweet all at the same time. Simple noises that never phased you before have become "OH SO SCARY." If I turn on the garbage disposal, hit the lever for the ice dispenser, print something from the printer, etc..... you come RUNNING to me, crying, with this look of terror on your face. Oh gosh it's hard not to laugh cause it's just so cute honey......but I hate that you are scared so I comfort you as much as you need. I hope this phase passes soon as it extends to people a bit too. You don't want ANYONE else to hold you but your dad and me. Even if we are RIGHT there you hate it. You were never like that before....I know it's normal though at this stage of your development, I just hate for you to be afraid!! :) Soon......

You are quick to learn and I haven't needed to do any time-outs yet. My "stern mommy" voice and re-direction seems to be all you need right , but you sure know how to test it sometimes! You do NOT like to be told no lately.....You hear the word and you just have a mini meltdown right before my eyes....THE most pitiful face and crocodile tears EVER. I just ignore it, hard as it is, and you bounce right back moments later. Too funny.... You're a really well behaved little boy my love, and I'm so proud of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for visiting me.
It really made my day to know someone enjoys reading my blog.

I'm really enjoying reading your love letters to your son. It's not only so sweet, but very special.

Your little man is just a precious cutie.

Thanks again for stopping by, and I hope to see you soon.