Monday, July 16, 2007

Our Discussion

May 4th....

My little buddy,

Well, last night you were not too excited to go to sleep–you slept a great deal of the afternoon–so the two of us sat out on the front porch, you wearing only a diaper, but swaddled in a blanket and me in my robe. We sat, gazing at the stars. You really seem to enjoy looking up, and as I watched your eyes I couldn't tell if you were checking out the shadows the light made on the window above us, or the stars. You are a very smart person, no doubt.

Anyway, as we sat I took the opportunity to teach you some of your very first purposeful life lessons. I told you all about how in the olden days–before lights were invented–people had to go sleep when the sun went down, unless what they were doing could be done by fire. We talked about the dangers of fire and asked him not to be accident prone like his uncle Joey. Next, we started to talk about how life changed after the light bulb was invented, pointing out all the different types of lighting we could see from our chair. This lead to a discussion about the difference between star-gazing in the city and in the country. Oh, we talked a little about the stars–I hope we can go out star-gazing together soon.

So then we started talking about how much we are going to read and sing together for many years to come, and how you are going to be someone so special in your life and touch so many people's lives with your sweetness. We're starting all these discussions early because it's important that you know how much your life is already planned out by God and how if you let Him, that it will be the most amazing life....I can't wait to watch it unfold...

You were a good, good listener. Eventually I started to sing to you, just making up a song about your sweetness and how much you are loved.

You are such a great kid, and I am so excited to watch you grow up. It is amazing to think about how much you've grown already. It's almost a little sad how quickly it's happening. Soon it will be your one month birthday!

We've had a nice morning so far. You are sleeping now, although you've been awake for several hours today and only recently fully succumbed to slumber. While I'd love to catnap with you, I am going to try and get caught up on some work I need to do. I'm missing you right now.... I love you

Love, Mommy

No comments: